August 11, 2010 “The Siren’s Painting”

“The Siren’s Painting”

The gray sea scratches at the sandy shore.
White foamy fingers struggle for purchase
at my feet, pointed west into the sun;
Siren song bidding me take one step more.

The orange sunset hangs above the foam.
Silvery deep blushes in that mirror,
beautiful with blue, purple, green and red;
Siren begs me closer to my long home.

My fate is fixed, love’s lot is firmly cast.
Eyes are set on that painted horizon.
I’m drawn deeper into indigo waves;
Siren’s touch I’m longing for holds me fast.

I have no bark and no sailor am I.
I stand silently upon shifting sand.
The rhythm of the tide eases my soul;
Siren paints me into the reddened sky.

©tlh   8/11/2010

(Image courtesy of artist)

Thanks, Red

for One Shot Wednesday

1. that siren sure can be hypnotic….smiles. nic e poem…i feel the sea and its lapping waves is soothing and hypnotic…thanks for linking up to oneshot….

August 11, 2010 at 1:39 am

• Thanks, Brian for your time and comment. Thanks to all at One Shot, it’s a great community 🙂

August 14, 2010 at 9:28 pm

2. the poem so fitted the picture..the sea always draws me..why is it so intoxicating? a great poem..thanks for sharing with One Shot

August 11, 2010 at 3:11 am

• Thanks, Pete. I think the sea calls us because it’s so vast and unknowable that we are drawn by the possibilities it holds.

August 14, 2010 at 9:32 pm

3. you seemed to have enjoyed yourself while listening to that sirene’s song – and at least they did not harm you..

August 11, 2010 at 5:22 am

• Yes, Claudia, I enjoy her song every time she sings it, and so far no harm has come…I think she is a kind siren. Thanks much for your time and comment 🙂 Please visit often for you are most welcome here.

August 14, 2010 at 9:39 pm

4. dustus

Enjoyed the sense of vibrant color and sensory components to your lines. Your poem complements the image very well. Nice reading

August 11, 2010 at 6:22 am

• Thank you, Adam, your comments are very much appreciated by this poet in training.

August 14, 2010 at 9:41 pm

5. Ilakya Spandhanaa

I’ve never heard a siren before, but your poem sure was mesmeric 😉 And before I forget, I’ve shared two awards with you, right here >> http://rhythmofmysoul.wordpress.com/accolades-i-treasure/ >> on top of the page..

Thanks so much for this amazing poem.. have a great day..!!

August 11, 2010 at 6:28 am

• My Dear, thank you for your kind words. The awards are proudly posted in my Academy of Awards 🙂

August 14, 2010 at 9:43 pm

6. The beach is my spirit home, I don’t get there often enough, but I feel like I leave a part of me behind each time. This poem touched that part of me deeply. My favorite line was “The rhythm of the tide eases my soul;”

Your work is incredibly versatile. I never know what your going to say next. Lovely!

Regards…

August 11, 2010 at 7:26 am

• Thank you, My Friend. I haven’t seen the sea for a few too many years, so when a friend showed me a painting of the seashore she was working on (not the one you see here) I was inspired to think of traveling across the oceans and into that sunset. I’ll do my best to keep you guessing what’s next 🙂

August 14, 2010 at 9:48 pm

7. it’s been so long since i’ve been to the ocean! i can feel the draw to come nearer still, there is truly nothing as magnificent and powerful as the sea.
    your work is powerful, soothing and grand, such wonderful prose, tracy.

August 11, 2010 at 7:55 am

• I have been away from the sea for several years, and I miss it too. Thank you very much for your time and comments 🙂 Perhaps we’ll both get to the shore before long 🙂

August 14, 2010 at 9:50 pm

8. You do well describing the draw of the sea. Lovely!

August 11, 2010 at 10:36 am

• Thank you, my friend, for your time in visiting and for the comment. Cheers!

August 14, 2010 at 9:52 pm

9. I live by that siren sea and it does call to me on the evening breeze and in this deadening summer heat. Even to the Gulf I am called. This was a hypnotic poem painted with vibrant colors. Well done. Thank you.

August 11, 2010 at 12:08 pm

• I’m envious, Gay. Thank you for your visits and for the comment. I’m very pleased you like the piece 🙂

August 14, 2010 at 9:55 pm

10. The fluid horizon on an evening beach is so inviting and spellbinding!! And so were your words in this poem… The imagery was so vivid and breathtakingly beautiful!!
    Just outside my house, we have the Hudson, just ready to meet the Atlantic.. it’s no beach, but the evening view with the fusion of all those colors is simply stunning! It leaves me speechless every single time!!!

Keep up the awesome work, my friend…
    I have some August Awards for you…please feel free to accept as many as you like…

Much love…

August 11, 2010 at 12:13 pm

• Kavita, you bless my heart with your touching and thoughtful comments every time…Thank you so very much for befriending me 🙂

August 14, 2010 at 9:57 pm

11. I didn’t need the painting to see what you were describing. Excellent as usual.

August 11, 2010 at 2:42 pm

• Thank you so much for reading with the poets inner eye…I have done my job well by your comment. 🙂

August 14, 2010 at 10:00 pm

12. Tracy, the painting was stunning of course, but the words… now that really evoked an image in my mind that seems far more vibrant and real! Marvellous! 🙂

August 11, 2010 at 2:51 pm

• Thank you, Tony, for reading with your inner poet’s eye…I’ve done my task well when this kind of comment comes. 🙂

August 14, 2010 at 10:02 pm

13. Wow. Beware the hypnotizing call of the siren. Excellent poem, my friend.

August 11, 2010 at 2:56 pm

• Thank you, Patti 🙂 I consider you my friend as well, and I cherish my friend’s comments.

August 14, 2010 at 10:06 pm

14. I know exactly what you’re saying in this poem…My fate is fixed, love’s lot is firmly cast….Brilliant, creative and wonderful…as always!!! You are so versatile and I am blown away with your artistic creativity. Much love x

August 11, 2010 at 3:55 pm

• Isn’t it a calming feeling to know that love is firm and fixed? Thank you for all your kindnesses to me, my dearest friend 🙂

August 14, 2010 at 10:09 pm

15. Wonderfully engaging. Puts one right in the center – right at the core – of the feeling. And the compelling siren song cannot be denied … but not sailor, no bark, you allow yourself vulnerability! Absolutely wonderful. Good One Shot Wednesday …

August 12, 2010 at 6:21 am

• I’m proud as a peacock about this comment! Thank You, Jamie 🙂

August 14, 2010 at 10:11 pm

16. mairmusic

Lovely images– really one of your best poems I think!

August 12, 2010 at 6:37 am

Which came first, the poet or the painter? The painter inspired by the poem, or the poet inspired by the painting?
    You have very nicely answered the calling of the mesmerizing seas with this poem. I like it and the painting very much!

August 12, 2010 at 11:04 am

• I was inspired by a painting of an ocean sunset by a friend. The colors of her sky brought the poem to life for me. Thanks for being here Cindy.

August 14, 2010 at 10:16 pm

18. I felt as if I was being drawn into a a kalidescope.Vivid colours swirling, sea and waves, the Siren’s call…
    Breath taking view you have painted and brought to life, very alluring piece.

August 12, 2010 at 10:47 pm

• Thank you for visiting, and for this very kind, thoughtful comment. Please come back again 🙂
      Cheers!